The Changing Nature of Business Process Modeling: Implications for Enterprise Systems Integration

The Changing Nature of Business Process Modeling: Implications for Enterprise Systems Integration

B. Cameron (The Pennsylvania State University, USA)
DOI: 10.4018/978-1-59140-887-1.ch007
OnDemand PDF Download:
$37.50

Abstract

Business process modeling (BPM) is a topic that is generating much interest in the information technology industry today. Business analysts, process designers, system architects, software engineers, and systems consultants must understand the foundational concepts behind BPM and evolving modeling standards and technologies that have the potential to dramatically change the nature of phases of the systems development life cycle (SDLC). Pareto’s 80/20 rule, as applied to the SDLC, is in the process of being drastically altered. In the past, approximately 20% of the SDLC was spent on analysis and design activities with the remaining 80% spent on systems development and implementation (Weske, Goesmann, Holten, & Striemer, 1999). Today, with the introduction of the Business Process Management Initiative (BPMI), Web services, and the services-oriented architecture (SOA), the enterprise SDLC paradigm is poised for a dramatic shift. In this new paradigm, approximately 80% of the SDLC is spent on analysis and design activities with the remaining 20% spent on systems development and implementation. Once referred to as process or workflow automation, BPM has evolved into a suite of interrelated components for systems analysis, design, and development. Emerging BPM standards and technologies will be the primary vehicles by which current systems portfolios transition to Web services and service-oriented architectures (Aversano, & Canfora, 2002). The Business Process Management Initiative’s business process modeling notation (BPMN) subgroup is currently finalizing a standardized notation for business process modeling. Although the notation is still in working-draft format, system architects and designers should consider incorporating the concepts of BPM into their current and future systems analysis and design procedures.

Complete Chapter List

Search this Book:
Reset
Table of Contents
Acknowledgment
Wing Lam, Venky Shankararaman
Chapter 1
W. Lam, V. Venky Shankararaman
Over the last few years, the importance of enterprise integration has grown significantly. As organizations expand, become more distributed, and... Sample PDF
Dissolving Organisational and Technological Silos: An Overview of Enterprise Integration Concepts
$37.50
Chapter 2
A. Schwinn
The effectiveness and efficiency of information systems are closely related to the degree of integration between applications. In order to support... Sample PDF
Success Factors and Performance Indicators for Enterprise Application Integration
$37.50
Chapter 3
A. Elbanna
This chapter introduces one of the social problems that could affect the integration of the implementation team and highlights its effect on the... Sample PDF
... and the Social Matters
$37.50
Chapter 4
A. Tarhan, C. Gencel, O. Demirors
The acquisition of software-intensive systems demands significant work on requirements prior to establishing the contract. Two significant... Sample PDF
Precontract Challenges: Two Large System Acquisition Experiences
$37.50
Chapter 5
A. Manzer
A mechanism is presented to construct an enterprise process by integrating component processes. This approach supports the formation of value-added... Sample PDF
Process Integration Through Hierarchical Decomposition
$37.50
Chapter 6
A. Ciganek, M. Haines, W. Haseman, L. Ngo-Ye
This chapter presents a specific case in which a company explores the use of XML Web services in conjunction with an integration broker. Several... Sample PDF
Using a Standards-Based Integration Platform for Improving B2B Transactions
$37.50
Chapter 7
B. Cameron
Business process modeling (BPM) is a topic that is generating much interest in the information technology industry today. Business analysts, process... Sample PDF
The Changing Nature of Business Process Modeling: Implications for Enterprise Systems Integration
$37.50
Chapter 8
C. Lawrence
Knowledge-intensive administration and service activity has features favouring a particular architectural approach to business process integration.... Sample PDF
Business Process Integration in a Knowledge-Intensive Service Industry
$37.50
Chapter 9
M. Anastasopoulos
Modern business applications consist of many subsystems (or components) potentially developed and maintained by diverse organizations. Generally... Sample PDF
A Systematic Approach for the Development of Integrative Business Applications
$37.50
Chapter 10
G. Jiménez-Pérez
This chapter presents a software tool to simplify application integration among enterprises. The visual environment provides facilities to display... Sample PDF
Visual Environment for Supply Chain Integration Using Web Services
$37.50
Chapter 11
J. García-Guzmán, M. Sánchez-Segura, A. Amescua-Seco, M. Navarro
This chapter introduces a framework for designing; distributing; and managing mobile applications that uses and updates information coming from... Sample PDF
A Framework for Information Systems Integration in Mobile Working Environments
$37.50
Chapter 12
M. Yoo
The agent paradigm in general underlines the interaction phenomenon in a collaborative organization while respecting the autonomy and... Sample PDF
Enterprise Application Integration from the Point of View of Agent Paradigm
$37.50
Chapter 13
T. Osman
Web services are used in enterprise distributed computing technology including ubiquitous and pervasive computing and communication networks.... Sample PDF
Web Services Hybrid Dynamic Composition Models for Enterprises
$37.50
Chapter 14
R. Duran
Enterprise integration (EI) can be a major enabler for business process improvement, but it presents its own challenges. Based on the process... Sample PDF
Case Study: Enterprise Integration and Process Improvement
$37.50
Chapter 15
G. Seshadri
SOA or service-oriented architecture is an innovative approach to enterprise application integration that increases the benefits of EAI by means of... Sample PDF
Case Study Implementing SOA: Methodology and Best Practices
$37.50
Chapter 16
S. Lee, W. Lam
This case describes a pilot project to implement a financial portfolio system (FPS) within Jwon Bank. (The case is based on a real-life... Sample PDF
Application Integration: Pilot Project to Implement a Financial Portfolio System in a Korean Bank
$37.50
Chapter 17
S. Chung
The primary objective of this case study is to discuss a retail business information system illustrating an e-business integration example among a... Sample PDF
Case Study: Service-Oriented Retail Business Information System
$37.50
Chapter 18
V. Thillairajah, S. Gosain, D. Clarke
This chapter touches on some basics on RFID and covers business opportunities as well as some of the relevant challenges to be faced. Although it is... Sample PDF
Realizing the Promise of RFID: Insights from Early Adopters and the Future Potential
$37.50
About the Contributors