A Living ‘CCC'ase Study: A Business Focused Action‐Learning Project

A Living ‘CCC'ase Study: A Business Focused Action‐Learning Project

Donna M. Velliaris (Independent Researcher, Singapore) and Janine M. Pierce (University of South Australia, Australia)
DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-3153-1.ch012


This chapter describes the Coglin Clothing Company (CCC), the focus of a multidisciplinary Live/Living Case Study (LCS) that was developed and introduced at the Eynesbury Institute of Business and Technology (EIBT) between 2010-2013. The LCS methodology endeavoured to address educational obstacles that had arisen from EIBT's international student population for whom it was first designed, but were typical problems of ‘business education' in general. This work begins by attending to issues such as: generalised problems of the education-experience business-related gap; the benefits of integrating more than one business discipline; the difficulties of handling various and conflicting sources of information; and the indispensability of action learning for deeper comprehension. A LCS was integrated across eight separate courses, including one titled ‘Management Principles'. The relevant literature is presented, followed by a discussion of the value of LCSs for acculturating (international) students to ‘real-life' business scenarios.
Chapter Preview


Founded in 1998, the Eynesbury Institute of Business and Technology (EIBT) offers pre-university pathways in the form of a Diploma of Business (DB), Information Technology (DIT) or Engineering (DIPE) with provisional entry into The University of Adelaide or the University of South Australia. EIBT attracts students early in their education lifecycle and secures their tertiary destination prior to them meeting direct entry requirements (Velliaris, Willis, & Breen, 2015a, 2015b; Velliaris, Willis, & Pierce, 2015). With a 98% international student demographic—the remaining 2% are ‘international’ students with Australian Permanent Residency (PR)—EIBT lecturers face interconnecting academic, cultural, linguistic, religious, and social challenges.

EIBT international students represent in alphabetical order: Bangladesh; China [mainland, Hong Kong and Macau]; India; Indonesia; Iran; Kenya; Lebanon; Malaysia; Nepal; Nigeria; Oman; Pakistan; Saudi Arabia; Singapore; South Korea; Sri Lanka; Vietnam; and Zimbabwe. EIBT offers a bridge (or ‘smooth’ pathway) to degree-level studies with a specific focus on the preparation and acculturation of students who are ‘lower-level’ in terms of their language proficiency and/or previous academic standing. In agreement with Bode (2013, p. 3), pre-university pathways serve to increase student participation and are ‘ideally positioned as second chance institutions’.

Complete Chapter List

Search this Book: