Estimate of Energy Performance Indicator of Existing Single-Family Houses in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Estimate of Energy Performance Indicator of Existing Single-Family Houses in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Darija Gajić (Faculty of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy, University of Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina), Erdin Salihović (Faculty of Architecture, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina) and Nermina Zagora (Faculty of Architecture, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-9932-6.ch012
OnDemand PDF Download:
No Current Special Offers


Yielding from an overall quantitative study of the residential sector of Bosnia and Herzegovina (B&H), this chapter concentrates on the ratio between single-family and collective housing, as well as on the urban-rural ratio of the single-family housing. Based on the data from the existing building stock (buildings built by 2014) and the statistical estimates, 23% of the buildings belong to the urban areas and 77% belong to the rural areas. The main goal was to study the correlation between the characteristics of the building envelope, the shape factor (A/V ratio) and the energy savings potential for the application of conventional measures of refurbishment of the building envelope of the single-family houses (type of buildings, which dominate in rural and urban areas). The chapter wraps up with recommendations for the adequate level of the energy performance indicator (energy need for heating) for the approved energy class for single-family houses located in the climate zone of the northern B&H.
Chapter Preview


In accordance with Directive 2012/27/EU and overall economic and energy capacity, all countries are required to define an appropriate set of minimum requirements for the energy performance of buildings based on parameters that determine the energy efficiency indicator. In addition, when it comes to final energy consumption, Bosnia and Herzegovina’s building stock is the greatest consumer (58.44%) (NEEAP, 2012), of which 64% is used for heating and the remaining 36% for lighting, electrical appliances, cooking (of which 66% using electricity) and water heating (89% using electricity2) (Energy statistic of B&H, 2015). B&H is not the only country that uses most of its energy to heat buildings. The situation is similar in most European countries, including those with the highest and lowest energy intensity (Switzerland). Energy statistical data show that the energy used for heating accounts for 68% and 71% of end-use energy consumption in Europe and Switzerland, respectively, while lighting and electrical appliances account for 15%, water heating for 12% and cooking for 4% (Pampuri et al, 2017).

Key Terms in this Chapter

Final Energy: The total energy consumed by end users and that energy consumption is paid.

Single-Family Houses: A stand-alone house (also called a single-detached dwelling, detached residence or detached house) is a free-standing residential building.

Energy Need for Heating: The energy required for thermal loss of the building (transmission and ventilation losses through the building envelope), taking into account the heat gain from solar radiation, users and appliance.

A/V Ratio: The ratio of compactness of heating zone in the building. The ratio of thermal envelope area and the conditioned volume of building.

Energy Efficiency Rulebooks: Set of rules on energy efficiency in buildings. Regulate the thermal protection of the building envelope or energy characteristic of building envelope, rational energy consumption, energy audits and energy certification of buildings.

Compactness Ratio: The ratio of thermal envelope area and the conditioned volume of building.

Building Envelope: The physical separator between the conditioned and unconditioned environment of a building including the resistance to air, water, heat, light, and noise transfer.

Shape Factor: Building shape factor is the variable for assessing compactness of building.

Energy Characteristics: Parameters for determining the energy efficiency indicators of the building, which affect the thermal losses and thermal gain in the building.

Complete Chapter List

Search this Book: