Virtual Professional Development and Informal Learning via Social Networks
Release Date: June, 2012. Copyright © 2012. 364 pages.
You must have an IGI Global account before adding an e-book to your shopping cart.
In Stock. Have it as soon as May. 23 with express shipping*.
DOI: 10.4018/978-1-4666-1815-2, ISBN13: 9781466618152, ISBN10: 1466618159, EISBN13: 9781466618169
People are increasingly engaged in profession-related learning via social networks supported by Web 2.0 tools. Some of these informal online learners are already actively engaged in a profession, whereas others are preparing to enter a profession. Their online interactions enhance their formal education and face-to-face professional experiences
Virtual Professional Development and Informal Learning via Social Networks will examine how individuals and organizations are using Web 2.0 tools to create informal learning and professional development opportunities. Informal learning is learning which occurs outside of a formal educational context, typically driven by a personal question or an immediate need. In other instances, informal learning may occur as a by-product of other social interactions. In this context, we focus on informal learning that occurs through online social networks on a voluntary basis. Professional development, then, is defined as learning that will enhance one's job-related knowledge or career growth. This book is perfectly suited for academics and practitioners as it is written in a manner that is clearly accessible and includes implications for practice.
Table of Contents and List of Contributors
Search this Book:
Mariliis Vahe (Florida State University, USA), Khawaja Zain-Ul-Abdin (Florida State University, USA), Yalin Kiliç Türel (Firat University, Turkey)
Social media has become one of the most dominant information phenomena of our time. As its commercial, social, activist, and informational uses multiply, questions a...
- Case studies of cognitive apprenticeship, mentoring, and knowledge brokering through online social networks.
- Case studies of social network development
- Empirical research on network interactions in professional development networks
- Evaluations of online professional development networks
- How norms and practices develop in professional development networks
- How professional development networks are designed and developed
- Pedagogical frameworks for informal online professional development
- Social networking frameworks for informal online professional development
- technologies used for professional development networks
- Technology support for informal online professional development